Friday, May 9, 2008

BarebonesBicycling

This will be an ongoing journal of keeping a couple of bicycles equipped and running for commuting a short distance and for self-contained touring.

The bikes I have are
- A MGX S20 MTB. It was bought from a big chain store to replace an aging Kent Terra old school 10 speed MTB, a bad decision in hindsight as the Kent was very comfortable. The MGX has a fork recall (Ballistic fork) and I am looking to replace the recalled fork with an unsprung plain MTB fork from a cheap MTB.

- A Miyata Twenty road bike I bought recently, in nearly mint condition. This will need to be equipped for the self-contained touring.

I think I need to add fenders to the MTB, besides the fork and a rear or front rack to hold my lunch bag.

To the road bike, I want to add rear and front racks, panniers, fenders and a whole bunch of stuff needs to be collected too, e.g., spare tire and tube, puncture kit, frame pump, tent, sleeping bag, etc.

Barebones Bicycling